Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Most Challenging Activity Of My Life


I think the most challenging thing I have done was skipping a grade in science. It wasn’t that science itself was especially hard; using English in science class was my main problem. At the time, I knew only the simplest phrases such as ‘thank you’ and I struggled with my science homework because I couldn’t understand the teacher.  Consequently, I tried to learn English as fast as possible through academies and skyping with my dad who, having worked in the United States for five years, was experienced in English.  It wasn’t easy, especially with all the exceptions to proscribed grammar rules and all of the scientific jargon, but I got the hang of it as I practiced and practiced, read books, and memorized vocabulary.  It was also a real challenge working with my science teacher because he had specific expectations about how we should do our work, which was very hard for me since it was rare that I understood what he was saying.  Ultimately, after a few months of practice and learning from my failures, I began to speak English better and understand my teacher more, while excelling in the course—all of which felt like a huge accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment