Thursday, November 28, 2013

Scout's Perspective: Maycomb

Name's Scout.  I want to tell you a little about my hometown, Maycomb, Alabama.  I’ve lived here my whole life, which is six years so far.  I don’t have much to compare it to, since I’ve never really been more than a few miles away, but I can tell you a few things.  First of all, Maycomb is a small, isolated southern town. Everyone moves very slowly and there is no rush or busy-ness to the town. This place is very poor, decrepit, and simple. There are no paved roads and a few streets.  My town is an agricultural (farm based) and it’s really hot out here. Also, there’s not much to do- play, go to school, and go to church.  In addition, my town is traditional and conservative. I would have to say, in my hometown, we tend to look down a little on poorer people, as well as black people.  People’s attitude towards black people is somewhat different. I don't know, but surely I don't see other white people any better than Calpurnia, who's help raise me to who I am today. Atticus, my dad calls it “discrimination” but that’s all I’ve ever heard about it.  My hometown is religious (Christianity) and people here are suspicious of the outside ideas and big city thinking.  The people here are generally pretty nice folks, except Boo Radley from what the folks around here say.  From my neighbours’ legend, Radley’s house is “haunted” and now I’m frightened by and curious about this Boo Radley.  I would like to tell you more about Maycomb but for now, this is what I have pictured in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment